Positioning refers to the positioning of the body at any point during an encounter. Most often this term is used to describe the position of the body while grappling, and stance is used to describe standup positioning.
Fighting Stance Edit
A stance is the body's positioning during a standing encounter. There are thousands of stances through the martial arts, each with its own style or methodology, but only a few are taught in Viam Chao. Efficiency is stressed over style, especially for beginners, so only those stances that have been tested as effective are utilized.
- neutral stance - passive stance
- standard fighting stance - dominant hand back
- reverse fighting stance - dominant hand forward
- open stance - two opponents have different lead hands (one orthodox, one Southpaw)
- closed stance - both fighters have the same lead hand